Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Basement Tileable Texture

After getting a semi-final blockout for the old watermill I decided to start attacking the tileable textures in turn to start getting an idea of how everything looked together.  The largest unbroken piece of the watermill is the basement so I thought I should start there.

I liked the look of the thin shale/sandstone brick in this reference so I decided to go for something like that.



First I looked at the shape and feel of the stone structure and did a quick paint over to get a bit of a feel for the construction and scale of it.  After that I highlighted some of the items that break up the noise of the stone for future reference as I dig deeper into modeling later down the road.  Also because I need to do more paint overs because they're fun and I'm a horrible 2D artist  :)




First I built a tileable template in Maya, paying close attention to my resolution because I planned to sculpt in Zbrush for a normal map and then transfer map and build my diffuse and spec maps from that.



And then a tiling test

From there I imported into Zbrush and began sculpting...it was a lot more pieces than I thought  :)


After a couple tedious hours I opted to export what I had and duplicate some stones to save time and get on to transferring maps and setting up my color selection map for PhotoShop



Final compiled result after PhotoShop diffuse and spec creation


And current progress on the Watermill


My next step will be to start breaking up the upper portion of the house with trim and planning out my uv maps.  Hoorah!


No comments:

Post a Comment