Sunday, April 20, 2014

Shiny stuff!

So the last couple weeks have been devoted building textures and modeling/uv unwrapping some assets to apply them to.  As you saw in the last post, I had some pretty basic models built already so there was already a baseline for me to work for texturing.

The Plan was to begin with creating 2 stone textures, one for assets and one for walls/floors (forthwith known as stoneAssets and stoneWalls) (forthwith heard).  I started off by building a template for a tileable stone texture in Maya and then exporting it into Zbrush for sculpting normal map information -- almost the exact same process as I explained in the Basement Stone texture for the Old Watermill below.  After that I also sculpted a quick tileable stone wall texture for normal map information as well.  When I finished with Zbrush, I imported the high poly meshes to Xnormal and extracted normal, AO, and height maps and a diffuse selection map in Maya for the stoneAsset texture.

After completing some pretty looking diffuse textures in PhotoShop, I imported the shiny new diffuse as well as the normal and height maps into Substance Designer where I generated spec maps as well as added wear and tear effects to both stoneAssets and stoneWalls.

stoneAssets Diffuse, Normal, Specular

stoneWalls Diffuse, Normal, Specular

After having some decent textures to work with, I went about uv unwrapping the assets and modular wall pieces.

Arches

archTypeA UV set

Pillars

largePillar UV set

tallPillar UV set

Sarcophagi

sarcophagiTypeA UV set

Modular Walls

It's pretty amazing what you can accomplish with just a few assets and a couple textures.  With these assets finally starting to look like something a little more interesting, I'll be plugging them into the Unity engine and begin working with lighting.  My goal is to have both static and dynamic lighting and to get more familiar with producing a finished lighting set up, including post processing.  I won't be working on assets anymore for the time being as I'm quite sure I'll be rebuilding everything after I better understand in engine lighting  :)

Till next time, stay classy

No comments:

Post a Comment